Cebu Food Lifestyle

Where to Eat: Tablea Chocolate Cafe

Tablea Chocolate Cafe

This is just a quick post about a new cafe that I just recently tried; a cafe which was introduced to me by my brother. If you know me well, you know how much I love eating cakes. It’s just one of my comfort food whenever I’m having some mood swings, when I’m burned out, and especially during PMS.

So I searched for some dessert parlors nearby our apartment over the weekend because I was craving for a slice of cake to satisfy PMS days. My brother suggested that I should try out Tablea Chocolate Cafe at JY Square Mall (which is just a 5 min motorcycle ride from our apartment). I always get to pass by this cafe every time I visit JY, however, never I was interested of trying it because I never was a fan of tablea chocolatea Philippine product made from cacao beans. One of the main reasons why I don’t like tablea because of it’s bittersweet taste and its after taste.

Since I was so hungry to eat cake that moment, I gave this cafe a shot. Almost everything in their menu are based on tablea – cakes, chocolates, brownies, coffee, chilled drinks, and more. They also sell raw tablea products for you to make your DIY tablea drinks or food. To be honest, their desserts are so mouthwatering as you can see on the picture below.

Bitter-sweet desserts from Tablea Chocolate Cafe

Bitter-sweet desserts from Tablea Chocolate Cafe

I was quite relieved seeing that they’re also selling non-tablea based cakes – red velvet and Ube. However, my brother told me to order something new because I’ve been ordering red velvet or Ube cakes for almost all the time. So yeah, why not? I ordered their best seller which is the Tablea Layered Cake, a tablea based chocolate cake with custard filling in the middle, only for PHP90/slice. Also, I tried out one of their drinks in the menu, Iced Hazelnut Chocolate Milk for PHP130. The prices were reasonable given that the serving of one slice of cake is already good for 2 and as for the drink it’s already grande-sized.

Tablea's Iced Hazelnut Chocolate Milk

Tablea’s Iced Hazelnut Chocolate Milk

Tablea Layered Cake

Tablea Layered Cake

Forgive me for this ugly food photography. I was supposed to eat it at our apartment, but since we were waiting for something I started eating the cake. You could really taste the tablea for both the slice of cake and the drink, but this did not disappoint me, actually I loved it! I love how it turned out to be not too sweet and too bitter. As I was nudging the tablea cake, I never really knew that I’ll learn to love this bittersweet thing. lol!

So for those who are into trying out exotic food, this should be on your list when you’re in Cebu, and totally should not miss it. I guess I’ll keep on coming back to this cafe every now and then and slowly try out everything in their menu.

You Might Also Like

22 Comments

Mercy
    March 8, 2017 at 12:23 PM

I miss this Tablea café, I used to get their coffee/chocolate beans from Mactan airport every time I visit Cebu. I didn’t see the cakes though as I was always in a hurry but I should consider it next time. Thanks for this post, I love anything with tablea, reminds me of my childhood in the Philippines, oh sweet memories.

Bia S.
      March 8, 2017 at 12:35 PM

Hope you’ll try out their cakes when you get a chance. It’s delicious. 😉

Dianne
    March 10, 2017 at 12:57 AM

Geeez! I didn’t know you’re still blogging. I never saw you post about your blog in facebook or in twitter. I just saw your comment on Clarisa’s blog and thought your name is familiar. haha. Hope you still know me, tho.

Is that the same tablea used for cooking champorado? I don’t know how to cook champorado but I just heard it before. It’s always cool to discover new cafes/restaurants to visit. Especially if they offer out of the normal menu! Now I’m missing Cebu!

Bia S.
      March 10, 2017 at 9:45 AM

Omg thank you so much for dropping by Dianne! I also remember you because we’re still friends in FB. Never knew you were still blogging too! Yes I just got back from blogging last year after a long break from it hehe.

Yes it’s the tablea used for champorado, you should try it here when you get a chance to visit Cebu again 🙂

Gretch
    March 11, 2017 at 8:56 AM

Ohmygoodness, look at all those delectable goodies! I am a big fan of chocolate, but this is actually the first time I’ve heard of Tablea. Does it taste like dark chocolate? or is it more bitter than that? I hope I can visit this cafe someday! This looks like it’s more than just the usual hipster cafe. For one, It’s great that they are using local ingredients. I think the price is good too, judging from the size of your serving, and compared to other cafes with overpriced lattes.

Bia S.
      March 11, 2017 at 8:41 PM

Hmmm I can’t really explain how it tastes but yeah I could somewhat compare it to a dark chocolate but more bitter haha!

Teesh
    March 13, 2017 at 6:58 AM

Everything looks so yummy!!! <3

Da Dominguez
    March 13, 2017 at 7:52 AM

That tablea layered cake looks like something that I’d definitely order! Always a fan of anything chocolate, especially the organic ones like this tablea. 🍫 Hope I could visit that cafe someday.

xx, The Diary Queen

Nikaia
    March 13, 2017 at 10:44 PM

OMG cakes are my thing as well! Although, i’m not a fan of all-chocolate cakes, and fondant cakes. Haha. And you’re right, Tableas are bittersweet, but definitely more bitter than sweet! Lol. BTW, do you ride a motorcycle? I was just curious. 🙂

Nikaia | http://www.wheresnika.com

Richel V.
    March 16, 2017 at 5:01 PM

This is the first time I’ve heard of tablea chocolate cake, or tablea, tbh. I don’t think I’ll quite enjoy it since I’m all for sweet things. I imagine it’ll taste a bit like coffee from your description? I don’t drink coffee. Haha.

xo, Richel V.

Radi
    March 17, 2017 at 9:27 AM

I’m in chocolate heaven just by looking at these sweets. Tablea chocolate is something I would love to try out and see if it’s any good.
    Have a great day.

Lyka Chiang
    March 18, 2017 at 10:22 PM

That cake looks so yummy! This is something I would definitely try because I love bittersweet chocolates. Hope there is something like this in Manila. I love trying out new cafes. 🙂

xo, Lyka Chiang

Jeanne
    March 19, 2017 at 3:59 PM

I’m not a fan of table either but Tablea Chocolate Cafe has always been lovely.

Mei
    March 23, 2017 at 4:55 PM

I don’t like tablea as well 🙁 I don’t know why they like it haha I don’t eat champorado when my mama puts tablea on it haha sometimes they also make drinks from tablea! Haha But since you’re the same and you said that it’s just fine, I might also try it if ever I come back to Cebu and have the chance to try it haha

Gillan
    March 25, 2017 at 1:37 AM

I love tablea! I have a sweet tooth so I live for desserts. The sweets look so delish!
    Is this cafe is located in Cebu only?

Bia S.
      April 18, 2017 at 7:59 PM

As far as I know, yes it is only located here in Cebu 🙂

Jhanz
    March 27, 2017 at 2:40 PM

Huhu this looks SOOOO GOOD! Cakes are my jam and chocolate cakes are my weakness. T_T
    Nice photos, too, Bia!