Cebu Philippines Tips Travel

Osmeña Peak Traverse to Kawasan Falls

Hello everyone! As you can see, I have officially moved to a new domain (BIASAMBRANO.COM) because my previous domain (ROADBYBIA.COM) is expiring soon and I’ve decided to use my name as my new domain name. But still, this blog will continue to be titled as “Road By Bia”.

Ever since I’ve first climbed Osmeña Peak, I was so eager to have another trekking experience and explore the outdoors and the beauty of our country’s nature. A few weeks ago, my officemates planned to have an outing around south of Cebu. So, one of our officemates suggested that we do something new which is to trek from Osmeña Peak to Kawasan. Gladly, a lot of us were interested to do the challenge despite the warnings about how exhausting the trek would be.

As what our tour guide told us, traversing from Osmeña Peak (Dalaguete) to Kawasan Falls (Badian) is approximately 18km and would usually take about 4-5 hours to reach the falls.

So just last weekend, we took the challenge of traversing the so-called “Death March”. At 3:30 AM of February 11, we started assembling at Cebu South Bus Terminal, rode the bus going to Oslob and departed Cebu City around 4:20 AM. As we arrived at Mantalongon Market (Dalaguete), around 6:20 AM, we took a 45 min habal-habal (motorbike) ride going to the starting point of the Osmeña Peak trek. I swear, you should really wear long sleeved top/jacket because it would be so cold during the ride. My nails actually turned purple-ish and we all shivered as we arrived on the starting point.

At the Osmeña Peak Tourism Center, you need to pay  an entrance fee PHP 30. Tour guides will just approach you with no fee, but for our case we hired the tour guide to guide us on traversing to Kawasan Falls. The guide offered us PHP 1000 fee, but we gave him an extra tip because we were many. The trek to Osmeña Peak is just easy and would only take about 30-45 mins. So around 7:30 AM we have reached the highest peak of Cebu and enjoyed the breathtaking view for an hour.

“Dabbing” at the highest peak of Cebu!

After enjoying the peak, we immediately started our traverse to Kawasan Falls around 8:45 AM. Along the trek, there were a lot of scenic views that all of us enjoyed. There was one area wherein people will really smile and greet you which really helped boost our energy up.

“Sandwich Girl”

This looked like the famous Rice Terraces.

At the third hour of our trek, my legs were already trembling and my muscles were getting in pain. Worst part was most of the trek were downhill and slippery. I got a hard time doing downhills because my shoes were not for trekking plus I had a hard time balancing myself due to exhaustion for the past hours. To be honest, I was already crying inside because I was so tired already and I wanted to take a long break from walking. But of course,I reminded myself that I have accepted this challenge and I must finish what I’ve started. There’s no turning back.

Past our fourth hour of traversing, around 1:00 PM,  we could almost hear the sweet sound of the water falling. Due to excitement, our energy got better and our walking speed went faster this time and ta-dah! We have finally reached the beautiful Kawasan Falls. I was so amazed seeing how clear the water was and it made me want to jump and dip in immediately.

Seeing such beauty, all the pain and exhaustion was all worth it.

We decided to enjoy our rest at Kawasan Falls Level 2, wherein the 65 foot waterfall is located. We rented a cottage/hut for PHP 300 only. Life vests are also available for rent for PHP 50. It is recommended to rent a life vest because the water is actually shallow, like literally you can’t see underneath it, plus especially if you want to try out jumping off that 65 foot high waterfall.

I was really in doubt jumping off this waterfall because it’s a 65 foot one, but YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE, so let’s go! Haha! Yes it was scary af but totally worth the experience. I will definitely try canyoneering soon!

Jumping off that 65 foot high waterfall

After our rest at Kawasan Falls, we rode a tricycle and headed to Lambug Beach Resort to meet the rest of our officemates who did not join the trek. The 30 min tricycle ride from Kawasan Falls to Lambug Beach Resort is PHP 50 per person.

Alliance Software Inc. June 2016 Batch + 1 Adopted. Lol.

So nice that we were still able to catch up sunset. Such a great way to end the day. Thank you Lord, we have conquered “Death March”!

Tips

• Start your trek as early as possible so that you’ll finish early too. Total trekking time from Osmeña Peak starting point to Kawasan Falls is 6-7 hours.
  • Wear proper trekking attire: cap, long sleeved top/jacket, trek/jogging pants/leggings, trekking shoes (trekking shoes if possible; don’t wear slippers!)
  • Bring bottled water to keep yourself hydrated along the trek. 2L will do.
  • Condition your body before trekking. It’s one thing that we forgot, there was no warm up done before the long trek that’s why we got muscle pains after.
  • Bring first aid kit just in case accidents/emergencies will happen.
  • Bring snacks with you just in case you’ll get hungry along the trek. We brought sandwich and canned goods for breakfast and lunch.

Itinerary + Budget

Life Vest: PHP 50
4:00 PM ETD Kawasan Falls to Lambug Beach Fare: PHP 50
4:30 PM ETA Lambug Beach Resort
Tricycle Ride to Bus Stop Fare: PHP 50
Badian to Cebu City Bus Fare: PHP 116
TOTAL  PHP 781

That’s all for my 2nd trekking experience. I did enjoy it despite being so exhausted. Everything was totally worth it. Will I do it again? Sure but not right now Haha! Looking forward to another trekking experience!

Do you want to do this trek soon?

You Might Also Like

20 Comments

Nikaia
    February 18, 2017 at 8:46 PM

When I get to Cebu, I’ll definitely try the traverse to Kawasan Fall from Osmeña Peak. Is there any place to camp in the area? Or a hostel? Trekking will be time consuming! Thanks for the tips! 🙂

Nikaia | http://www.wheresnika.com

Bia S.
      February 18, 2017 at 8:49 PM

There’s a camping area near Osmeña Peak. You can ask the people there at the Osmeña Peak Tourism Center for more details. But along the traverse to Kawasan, I’m quite not sure if there’s a camping area. Hope you’ll enjoy your experience, Nikaia! 😉

Justine
    February 19, 2017 at 10:29 PM

Aaahhhh thanks for this! Not planning to do the death march anytime soon but I am going to Osmeña Peak in the next few weeks and I’m super looking forward to it.

Bia S.
      February 19, 2017 at 10:36 PM

Nice to hear that! Enjoy your trek! You’ll really enjoy its breathtaking view 😉 Thanks for dropping by Justine!

Radi
    February 20, 2017 at 8:51 AM

This is so awesome. I really enjoy being in the outdoors and hiking. I love that you jumped off a waterfall and had fun.

Bia S.
      February 20, 2017 at 9:56 AM

Thanks Radi! 🙂

Lady Auradelle
    February 20, 2017 at 9:09 AM

I’ve never tried trekking before and I actually don’t have any plan to do so. Haha. Being an introvert like me, I always prefer staying at home to watch my favorite Korean dramas or just sleep the whole day. But looking at your photos make me wanna try it! Haha. And the falls looks clean and relaxing.

Auradelle // Shoot, Eat, Write

Bia S.
      February 20, 2017 at 10:00 AM

You should really try it at least once! You might love the feeling after having an adventure and crave for more, just like me 😀

Elisha
    February 20, 2017 at 9:59 PM

Osmena Peak is not near from our place but never got the chance to go there! Hahaha! I always have plans to go but it always doesn’t push through! Hahaa! I love this post and please do continue sharing your adventures!

Elisha | loveelisha.net

Bia S.
      February 20, 2017 at 10:56 PM

Omg go and try it! The trek is really easy for beginners. Hehe thank you Elisha! Will definitely share my future adventures! 😉

Jhanz
    February 21, 2017 at 5:40 PM

Kawasan falls is definitely one of my favorite falls in the PH!!! 🙂 I wanna go back! We didn’t do the Osmena Peak as I’m not a climber hehe but would love to do it if ever I go back to Cebu!

Bia S.
      February 21, 2017 at 10:52 PM

Can’t disagree to that. Kawasan is now my fave too, sobrang nice. Hope you’ll enjoy your future trek, Jhanz! 🙂

Ochi Bernadas
    February 22, 2017 at 10:17 AM

Just hearing about the traverse makes me scared to do it. To think that I was a member of the UP Mountaineers before, huhu. Such sedentary lifestyle. Jealous of you! Thanks for providing the itinerary just in case I plan to do this when I go to Cebu next year. Haha

Ochi | Ochi In The City

Bia S.
      February 23, 2017 at 9:43 AM

Sure! Hope you’ll do the trek, scary but really worth the experience. Thanks for dropping by Ochi! 🙂

Gretch
    February 24, 2017 at 1:38 PM

Oh my goodness, I cannot stop looking at the photos! Everything is stunning and breathtaking! And just the color of the water is convincing enough! If I were a bit more fit, I guess I will consider it, but right now, the most I can do is 1-2 hours trekking. I definitely need to condition myself before joining something like this.

It looks like the trek is so worth it though! It looks like an adventure of a lifetime! Kudos to you and your group!

– Gretch of GG memochou

Bia S.
      February 25, 2017 at 7:58 PM

Thanks Gretch! 🙂

JAZZIE
    March 3, 2017 at 12:35 PM

this is so helpful biii.. dugay najud nako gusto muadto ug Cebu and try all the adventures there! :'( Canyoneering, Osmeña Peak, Kawasan Falls and Sirao are my top lists! hihihi thanks for this bi. gonna tell this to my lalabs! 😉 hehehe

Bia S.
      March 4, 2017 at 9:38 AM

You should really visit Cebu, Jaz. Daghan jud malaagan at a budget cost! 😉

Kat
    June 9, 2017 at 11:00 AM

I’m going to Cebu next month and your post got me all excited. 😀

Bia S.